Death of Jesus Christ on the Cross?
The death of Jesus Christ on the cross is the centre of all Christian theology. All Christian statements about God, about creation, about sin and death have their focal point in the crucified Christ. All Christian statements about history, about the church, about faith and sanctification, about the future and about hope stem from the crucified Christ.
Jesus Not Killed-Internal Evidence of Bible:
Jesus Christ was neither killed nor was he crucified, as alleged by the Christian theologians and the Jews, but that he was alive. The renowned South African scholar and authority on Bible, Ahmed Deedat in his book: ‘Crucifixion Or Cruci-Fiction’ has deliberated on this aspect through references and internal evidence from Bible. The salient points of his pragmatic arguments are summarized below:-
- Jesus was reluctant to die! Because he had worked out a strategy of defense to repel the Jews, because he wanted to remain Alive! (Matthew 26:37-38)
- He beseeched God for help: With strong crying and tears for God Almighty to keep him Alive!(Luke 22:44 Matthew 26: 37-39).
- God “Heard” his prayers: Which means that God accepted his prayers to keep him Alive! (Hebrews;5:7).
- An angel of God came to strengthen him: In the hope and belief that God will save him Alive!(Luk;22:43).
- Pilate (Roman ruler) finds Jesus not guilty! Good reason to keep Jesus Alive! (John;18:38).
- Pilate’s wife shown a dream in which she was told that: “No harm should come to this just man (Jesus).” In other words, that he should be saved Alive! (Matthew;27:19).
- Jesus was supposed to be on the cross for only three hours: According to the system in vogue, no man could die by crucifixion in such a short time which means that even if he was fastened to the cross — he was Alive!
- The other two — his “Crossmates” on their respective crosses were alive: So Jesus too, for the same period of time must be Alive!
- Encyclopedia Biblica under article “Cross”, column 960 says: “When the spear was thrust — Jesus was Alive!”
10. “Forthwith” Came there out blood and water: “Forthwith” means straightaway, immediately which was a sure sign that Jesus was Alive! (John;19:34).
11. Legs of Jesus were not broken — as a fulfillment of prophecy (Psalm;34:20): “Legs” can be of any use only if Jesus was Alive! (John;19:33),(Matthew;13:14).
12. Thunderstorm, earthquake, and darkening of the sun all within 3 hours! : (Divine help in acceptance of his prayer) to disperse the sadistic mob to enable his “secret disciples” to help, keep him ALIVE! (Matthew;12:49,Mark;15:47)
13. Jews doubted his death: They suspected that he had escaped death on the cross — that he was Alive! (Matthew;27:62-64). The Jews were suspicious because it was all very “fishy”:
a. The tomb within easy reach.
b. Helping hands of his “secret” disciples.
c. His “Crossmates” still alive.
d. His legs not broken, whereas those of his “cross-mates” were!
e. Quick and easy permission granted by Pilate to obtain the body of Jesus.
14. For these and many more reasons, the Jews were suspicious. They felt that they had been cheated. Jesus was Alive! (?) So they ran to Pilate. But they had missed the bus again! They were 24 hours late (too late)!
15. Pilate “marvels” to hear that Jesus was dead: He knew from experience that no man can die so soon by crucifixion. He suspected that Jesus was Alive!(Mark;15:44).
16. Jesus was kept in a big roomy chamber (by his helpers): Close at hand, and big and airy for willing hands to come to the rescue. Providence was out to keep Jesus Alive!
17. Stone (blocking entrance) and “winding sheets” had to be removed: Only necessary if Jesus was Alive!
18. Report on winding sheets: German Scientists who carried out experiments on the “Shroud of Turin” said that the heart of Jesus had not stopped functioning — that he was Alive!
19. Ever in disguise (as gardener)! : Disguise not necessary if Jesus was “resurrected” (spiritualized). Only necessary if he was Alive! (John;20:15), (Hebrews;9:27).
20. Jesus forbade Mary Magdalene to touch him: “Touch me not” for this reasons that it would hurt; because he was Alive! (Joh;20:17).
21. Jesus said: “Not yet ascended unto my Father”: In the language of the Jews, in the idiom of the Jews, he was saying, “I am not dead yet”, in other words, “I am Alive!” (Joh;20:17).
22. Mary Magdalene was not afraid on recognizing Jesus: Because she had seen signs of life before. She was looking for a Jesus who was Alive!
23. Disciples petrified on seeing Jesus in the upper-room: All their knowledge about the “crucifixion” was from hearsay, therefore, they could not believe that Jesus was Alive! (Mark;16:11,13). (Acts; 2:24, Matthew; 6:30; 8:26; 74:37; 76:8; and Luke;72:28).
24. Jesus ate food again and again in his post ‘crucifixion’ appearances: Food was only necessary if he was Alive! (Luke;24:30).
25. Jesus never showed himself to his enemies: Because he had escaped death by the “skin of his teeth”. He was Alive!
26. Jesus took only short trips: Because he was not resurrected, not spiritualized, but Alive!
27. Testimony of men around the tomb: “Why seek ye the living among the dead?” (Luke 24:4-5): That he is not dead, but alive!
28. Testimony of angels: “. . angels who had said that he was Alive!”(Luke;24:23). Did not say, “Resurrected” but the actual word uttered by the angels was “Alive!”
29. Mary Magdalene testifies: “. . . they heard that he was Alive, and had been seen by her, they believed not.”(Mark;16:11): Mary did not vouch for a spook, or ghost or spirit of Jesus but a ‘Live’ Jesus. What they could not believe was that the Master was Alive!
30. Dr. Primrose testifies: That the “water and the blood”, when Jesus was lanced on the side, was on account of an upset in the nervous vessels because of the scourging by staves. Which was a sure sign that Jesus was Alive!
31. Jesus had himself foretold that his miracle will be the miracle of Jonah! “Then some of the scribes and Pharisees said to him (Jesus), “Teacher, we wish to see a sign (miracle) from you. But he answered them, “An evil and adulterous generation seeks for a sign; but no sign shall be given to it except the sign (miracle) of the prophet Jonah. For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the whale, so will the Son of man (Jesus) be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.”(Mathew;38-40). According to the Book of Jonah, Jonah was Alive, when we expected him to be ‘Dead’; similarly when we expect Jesus to be DEAD, he should be Alive!
Was Christ Crucified? [2:44] It’s a great debate recorded on video, between Sheikh Ahmed Deedat who is well-known as a muslim scholar in comparative religion and E. Clark who is a professor emeritus at Johnson Bible College USA.
Jesus was not Crucified, but Raised Up:
The contradictions in the crucifiction and resurrection claims have also been mentioned in “Gospel of Jesus” according to disciple Barnabas, which are being mentioned here jus for information and additional knowledge:
- “..Then God seeing danger of his servant, commanded Gabriel, Michael, Rafael and Uriel, his ministers, to take Jesus out of the world. The holy angels came and took Jesus out by the window that looketh toward the South…” (Brnabas:215).
- “Judas truly did nothing else but cry out: ‘God, why hast thou forsaken me, seeing the malefactor hath escaped and I die unjustly?’ Verily I say that the voice, the face, and the person of Judas were so alike to Jesus, that his disciples and believers entirely believed that he was Jesus; wherefore some departed from the doctrine of Jesus; believing that Jesus had been a false prophet, and that by art magic he had done the miracles which he did: for Jesus had said that he should not die till near the end of the world; for that at that time he should be taken away from the world.” (Brnabas:217)
Hence the internal evidence from Bible conforms to the saying of God: “And (then Children of Israel) plotted and planned and God too planned and the best of planners is God.(Qur’an;3:54). “That they said (in boast) “We killed Jesus Christ the son of Mary the Apostle of God”; but they killed him not nor crucified him but so it was made to appear to them and those who differ therein are full of doubts with no (certain) knowledge but only conjecture to follow for of a surety they killed him not. Nay God raised him up unto Himself; and God is Exalted in Power Wise. (Qur’an;4:157,158).